Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cambodia complete

Today was a quasi rest day. Last night in the daily awards I was given both a daily certificate this time for courage (not sure I mentioned the first one but it was for innovation) and I was awarded BOTH bracelets for my efforts to survive the day yesterday. Ian gave me one bracelet for my achievements to date (Ian is on the board of Cure Cancer and as we cycled together during one of the stages today and he asked questions about me he realised he'd read my story) and my determination to keep going both during the day and overall. Frank awarded me the second one for taking care of him on the ride (rehydrating him and getting gu into him when he completely blew out). It was a big teary night.

This morning however, we had breakfast early and jumped on the bus to the airport. We sad fond farewells to our local guides and were on our way again. From Siem Reap, we flew to Bangkok and then transfered to Chiang Mai. The local crew were at the airport with a huge sign for us as we came out. It was brilliant!

The lodge we were staying at was out of town a long way, so we had a quick comfort break then hit the road. As we wound our way up into the mountains the roads became more and more narrow and corner/crest was met with beeping horns to alert other traffic to our presence. Once we were at the lodge, there was time for a quick change of clothes then it was onto the challenge. We split into two teams and after a brief on jungle survival, we built a shelter, fire, cooking and eating utensils, prepared food and last but not least, killed, plucked, cooked and ate a chook. It was awesome. I spent a lot of time whielding a machette chopping up bamboo - Noice!

We then headed down for dinner, had showers and hit the sack. Our beds are rock hard, well, more wood slat hard but they are warm (it's cold in the mountains) Tomorrow we're trekking the jungles and we are going to need our sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment